Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Remember what I said in blog entry #2? Yeah. Me either.

Been listening to a lot of George Winston lately; that and the old timey stylings of Jelly Roll Morton and Fats Waller. Apparently my musical tastes have shifted once again, although this time I'm unsure of where exactly they've gone to. Usually when this happens I tend to resume my love affair with trance or techno, but I think this time I'll stay one step ahead of myself and jump right into some nice acid jazz. Take that self!

Continuing on with the music theme, my last girlfriend got me into the whole indie scene, although not like the lame indie scene that shares a great deal with the lame emo scene, but more of the kinda cool, not really all that indie, but still indie enough to know this band from that, indie scene. For about a year or so I've bummed around that part of the music industry, the Arcade Fire, Rilo Kiley (although I heard a Rilo Kiley song on 105.1 the other day, how weird), the Shins, etc, but it's quickly starting to get old. Other than maybe the above musings though, I'm uncertain of what else to look in regards to music. A few of my old indie friends got into some underground rap, maybe I should follow suit? I can't really see myself listening to much of that, although boy it'd do wonders for my street cred.

Ultimate lately has been pretty good. We've had a lot of turnout for these last few practices as well, a surprisingly large turnout actually, 20+ people this last practice. Other than our ill-fated scrimmage against CLX + a few other of those ISUC chumps, our team has been looking pretty solid (partly due to the aforementioned turnout and last minute additions to the team). We're still making a lot of mistakes and trying to get into the groove of our ho-stack, but I think we'll be able to get it together in time for Madison. We have a lot of talent on the team through Greg, Dunlay, Tai and J-Mis among a few others, so it's not that we don't have the ability, we just for some reason haven't quite clicked yet. Hopefully some of the players from this last scrimmage have some tips for things we need to work on, I'll leave it to them to give any further opinions.

Only a few more days left of this summer though; I'm starting to feel those first few pricks of wanderlust. Not only will I be able to start packing up and getting ready to move into my new dorm room, but Ali's coming back on the 14th! I'm all kinds of excited. Visiting her out in Maine was the highlight of my summer; her coming back will probably complete it. FYI for my friends and relations, from the 14th to the 17th I will be incommunicado, I hope that won't cause any problems.

This is quickly turning into an eclectic post (randoms even?!), but negotiations were furthered today in regards to UNI ultimate. Terp was at the scrimmage today, we talked a bit afterward about some of the problems that I'll likely encounter during my captaincy. A loss of interest due to lack of commitment, how to try to combat that, etc. I wish UNI were a bigger university, it'd be much easier to go about cultivating an ultimate program with a slightly larger student base.

I mostly included that last sentence so I could use the subjunctive tense properly in a sentence. Excuse me for a moment while I bask in my own greatness.

Yeap. Later in the night I ended up going to Stomping Grounds to work a bit on my plans for UNI. They've been progressing well, although I'm getting to the point where I can't really plan much more out. A lot of the major decisions will depend on the team and the amount of enthusiasm they show. I should probably stop thinking about it and let it play out.

Terp took me aside late during the game. Making conversation I asked him what he thought about ISUC practice, his reply? "Man. Iain, I've been enlightened."

5 comments:

Melissa Jo Gibbs said...

Oh yeah, pssh, subjunctive tense. I learned about nouns last week. I'm excited for your school year to start to read about more captain stuff for UNI...I'm excited to see where your excitement leads you. Trust me, keep that excitement because it can wear off and will motivate others more than you know. Derscheid is always my hero in this case. So, yeah, good luck and stuff.

Ali Marie. said...

I looked up Winston Morton among the others and decided that I like. You are correct in regards to your music preferences swinging more into a new genre. Get it? Swinging? haha

Not bad overall but I have to say that " Jelly Roll Morton" reminds me of more slapstick jazz in silent movies.I should be watching some black and white film with creepy Charlie Chaplin running around with a nail caught in his thumb....of course while still groovin' away to The Maple Leaf Rag.
With this new found love for 1920s jazz, I expect you to learn and teach me some rockin' dance moves. You have a week to perfect!

Fox-trot anyone?

ellsworthless said...

Things that I saw on the field yesterday:

-Continues needed to be timed better. This left you with little options forcing high risk hucks and cramped back field dumps.

-With that, I spoke to Greg yesterday about the handling. Handlers need to line up further away from the thrower and the mark. They should also make sure they are not clogging the force side lane, which happened a couple times yesterday. This makes the defense on the dump much easier because there is only one option and that is backfield.

-Lastly, there should be better force side defense. Against a team of more skilled handlers you need to follow your reciever even to the break side, just DON'T lose position when they cut back to the force side. So basically, don't over commit, but work shut all the options to your reciever down.

That is my two cents.

ellsworthless said...

Also,
There are a couple bands that I often recommend with quite a bit of success. Check them out and make an assessment.

Minus the Bear
http://www.myspace.com/minusthebear

Hockey Night
http://www.myspace.com/hockeynight

Why?
http://www.myspace.com/whyanticon

Brother Ali (a lil' hip hop for ya)
http://www.myspace.com/brotherali

Warrior Princess said...

On the CLXish scrimmage (with things to keep in mind at UNI): One key thing is to never give up, especially as a leader. The second scrimmage was much closer. The first had some ill-timed drops, small mistakes that I think got the team down. Never, ever, ever think you WILL lose. Always, always, always know you CAN lose. Work to not JUST highlight the standouts, but figure out how EVERYONE can be useful- not only does it ease up the pressure on your stars, they will play better if they are included.