Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Iain and his forays into the realm of leadership

Being a blog christened after its author's attempts at captaincy, its author feels obligated to update. Also, the fact that a tournament, a location change and the return to the college lifestyle have all occurred way heavy on its author's shoulders. Unfortunately this post is about none of these.

UNIPUC's first practice occurred back on Sunday. We had some decent turnout, a lot of people that have played back in high school, a few people that "played some disc back in gym class and thought it was fun," and one or two tournament goers. Also present - an inconceivable amount of wind and rain. The latter was not well received by the team.

Due to those conditions we weren't able to get as much done on Sunday as I had hoped, the usual introductions were performed, a few basic explanations about the stack and force, nothing too fancy. I did discover though, that I'm really bad at explaining things. Really really bad. Abominable even. This isn't all that desirable of a trait for a captain to have.

Sunday practice also had very few of our old team present. We were missing our three main players at Cooler playing with the PaB team, while the rain probably drove off any of the other slightly less dedicated members. Two of the three members at Cooler were also former presidents, which somewhat left me at a loss for what to do. I worked with what I could.

Afterwards (with the addition of the three Cooler-ites) our first team meeting was held. It proceeded exquisitely. Chili red and marina blue are now our two jersey colors, although no input was given for a name change or a new insignia for that matter, mostly because I didn't have any of the drawings on my person.

Another no-ultimate Monday came and passed and then Tuesday practice arrived, hooray! This time around my explanations were much less of the abominable sort, quite the opposite in fact. With an official practice under my belt I was feeling confident, so my stack and force demonstrations flowed much more smoothly. Even with my peerless demonstrations though, the team still has a lot to work on. Unlike ISUC we don't have as solid of a core of veterans, so not only do we have to teach the newbies, but we have to reteach some of the team members as well. The newbies don't have that competitive ultimate atmosphere to learn in yet, I'd like to try to cultivate that, but I don't know how.

It's hard for the new players to learn how to play correctly when a lot of the older members don't quite know when to make a continue or how to make a proper cut. It also worries me that none of the older players really understood the necessity of the stack moving upfield when the disc moves upfield. Whenever the disc is caught a lot of people just panic and sprint wildly away from the stack in these dazzling circular continue cuts, which although I'm sure look absolutely scintillating on paper, lose something in translation to the field.

I should probably stress a bit more the necessity of the stack moving as a group, but I'm still trying to feel out when exactly it's proper to give advice, and when it's not. People tend to misinterpret what I say into something a lot more harsh than I intended, so I'm somewhat hesitant to tell people what to do. With this being only our second practice as well, I don't want to put people off by having them think they're doing absolutely everything wrong, but I also don't want them to build bad tendencies that we'll have to overcome later in the year. I'm sure the happy medium is what I should aim for, but those happy mediums tend to have a lot in common with sublime circular continue cuts.

The basics are what the team needs though and the basics are what I'm going to have to focus upon for the next few days. Whether or not the team understands the main nuances of the stack will make or break our play this year, it's what kept us from really playing all that well last year.

This brings in another issue though, our practices starting at 3:30, when about five or so people have classes until 4:45. If those five people miss out on Tuesday/Thursday explanations and drills, then they're going to be leagues behind the rest of the team in terms of understanding. I'd like to move practice times up to 5 or so, but then we'd start to encounter the problem of not eating dinner until 7:30. With the dining centers closing at 7:45, that probably wouldn't go over very well with the team.

This all sounds like these last few practices have been fruitless, but for the first two practices they've gone quite well. We converted a track athlete permanently to our heathen ways, as well as picking up a few other pretty athletic people. The older players seem almost excited, if not more excited about this year than I am. Additionally the intensity of our last practice was a pleasant surprise from what UNIPUC is usually like. I'm hoping to try to help foster this intensity by raising my intensity as well. Hopefully it will trickle down to the other players so they can try to learn from my example, as well as to help minimize any loss of skills that I might have (this I'm very worried about).

Getting used to teaching players that are completely unfamiliar with the game is new to me, although nothing I can't adapt to. It'll take time and I'm sure a lot of frustration, but when all these drills and explanations finally pay off and the team starts to click; it'll be worth the effort a thousand times over.

6 comments:

Warrior Princess said...

Suggestions:
1. 5-7:30, emphasize being timely (that is cleats ON at 5)so they can get to dinner. Centers close at 7:45 (in my experience that is "stop serving"), go eat together sweaty and gross; if they really close at 7:45, got to 7:15, make friends with the workers so you can consistently stay late.

2. Have SPECIFIC AIMS for each practice- early on, that's 1 defensive componenet, 1 offensive compenent. Tell your players their goals. You can even segment it more: this month, we are focused on good cuts, this week on TYPES of cuts, today on BREAKSIDE cuts (endzone 'O'- works on timing, going to disc; IO drill: center stack, thrower breaks inside to the cutter off the front, continue is the back of the stack faking deep and coming in)

3. Do drills to focus on these skills and tell them WHY & HOW these drills are applicable to games (it goes w/o saying all drills shoule be practicing game skills)

4. Lots of praise (especially those women that will from their own team in the spring..ps-Ali better start playing)

5. It is overwhelming- how do you focus on one aspect when people don't know how to cut, throw, or play D? Just make sure it is fun & as organized as possible; people will keep coming and get the hang of things in a couple months, then you can focus on the finer points.

Mikey said...

Sounds familiar... like ISUC 4/5 years ago. Good luck... and remember to get that roster in.

ellsworthless said...

One thing that helped me develop was talking outside of practice with the vets. You should have some team get togethers where you can watch ultimate videos, eat together, and party together. People will be more comfortable will asking questions and just shooting the shit about ultimate.

One other thing that I think works very well (esp. when used on me), is to take the players that are going to be contributing a lot this season, and tell them that. If you need them to start hucking more or handling or anything like that, just tell them that the team needs to them to try and develop those skills.

"Your throws are a lot better since last year, I would like to see you fill in that handler role where we need people badly now. Do you have someone you can throw with outside of practice more?"

Something of that nature could work very well. You may want to arrange times outside of practice where people can meet you to throw somewhere on campus etc.

808 said...

Everything else is unimportant. Teach your kids how to throw. Make them practice throwing. Encourage them to meet on the grassy parts of campus when they don't have class to hang out and throw, even if it's only for 20 min a day. Make them run and then, while they're tired and sucking air, make them throw and sharpen their mental focus. Defense is not important, they already know how to run, throw.

We run a drill called Texas where everyone has a throwing partner, one of the two lines up on the sidelines and the other is 10-15 yards away. Then have everyone throw 10 flicks, and if anyone turfs it/drops it/turns it then everyone starts over again from 0 (we also have a rule that whoever turns it over has to yell "START OVER -their name-". Do this for backhands too. After your team masters this drill, which might take weeks/months, spice up the throws - flick fake, pivot to throw backhand and such.

College is about offense, you can't run offense if you can't throw. But then again, I could be way off on all this. I'm not a captain, and if I ever am one, please shoot me.

-808

ellsworthless said...

Just wondering if you are implementing some of the advisories in the comments here and what is going on with them?

Iain said...

Now that I'm done with Mad-isc-on I'll Captain's Blog from here on out. I'll update before Grinnell.