Thursday, July 26, 2007

E. III:TR, P. II

Turns out ultimate recap posts take an obscene amount of time and space to make. Also, apparently Seiler has some sort of unparalleled memory that allows him to recall both a specific event, as well as the score after that event, upon a whim. Kevin Seiler, I salute you.

Almost the entire tournament until when my throws started to go a bit downhill I was main handler opposite Greg. That meaning he did all the fancy stuff and when he got stuck or needed a swing/dump I was there. Pivot handler basically. It was kinda nice I thought. I do wish I knew Greg's reasoning of putting me there though, as I always assumed Dunlay's throws, choices, and breaking were much better than mine. Maybe I just have such archetypal pivot handler attributes that Greg wasn't able to resist. That's probably the most likely scenario.

The only thing that I would've liked a bit more was the ability for me to make a deep cut, but I suppose being a handler it's generally frowned upon to do that. I understand the whole reasoning between teams that always keep their handlers back and don't let them make deep cuts, the whole "there are 4 other players further deep than you that can poach off their men and guard you" thing, but man it's just too much fun! That does remind though, if I do chose to go with a ho-stack for UNI it's going to be mighty hard to go deep and not run into someone else's man. Hm. I'll save that thought for a later post.

One of the big things I noticed this tournament, although I don't know why I never really noticed it before, Ames ToP has no depth. I mentioned below the A-team of our team, well that was basically the team that played during any and all clutch moments. By the Candliers game all of us were beat. Mark was cramping, I think Greg may have been too, Dunlay and I were both beat, and I wasn't really doing nearly as much work as Dunlay. Really I'm unsure of why I was so tired, Greg and Dunlay were playing like champs the whole tournament. It was Dunlay's cuts that breathed life into our offense, and Greg's transcendent throws that led us to victory yet again. I suppose I was playing more of a flow position and trying to make sure we never lost that flow, but I didn't really deserve to be all that tired. I guess I should just look to Lun's post concerning MUDI / Seiler's #8 email thingie for solace. (I feel like a stalker, ew.)

I'd go with a player by player recap, but unfortunately I probably remember more from Solstice than I do Iowa Games. That whole "every game on one day" thing really gets to you. Also, smoking those first five teams so badly somewhat limited most of the spectacular plays. The team played amazingly the entire day.

Minor notes for myself: I noticed leading people out the proper distance when they're cutting with a man behind them needs some work on my part. I need to stop throwing where I want them to be cutting and just place it within their reach on the non-defender side.

The marking drill with having either Dunlay or Greg as a mark has really helped my breaks. I need to do that more often / especially at UNI. Being comfortable with a mark trying to handblock you at all costs (especially if it's Michael Dunlay, marking extraordinaire) helps you ten times as much on the field.

My backhand is still pitiful. Continue to work on that.

Iowa Games recap posts: finito!

1 comment:

Warrior Princess said...

You should hear Kevin and Saienga talk and replay games- it is ridiculous. I'm talking throw by throw, point by point sometimes. "Remember when you caught that short one from Brad, kind wobbly forehand, then swung it to me and I had to layout?" No, I don't. Are you sure that was me? I was on the field? Sometimes I don't even remember what teams we played or the scores. Here's something for Ames ToP: if you are blowing out teams 9-1, 9-3, you, Greg, Dunlay, and Mark don't need to all be playing. By the time you get to those end of day games, your "B-team" should be tired, not you. You play enough to stay in it mentally and stay warmed-up, they 1.get better 2.contribute more fully to the team not only by playing more,but by allowing you to play better at the end. Calling lines is actually a pretty tough gig- I try to avoid it whenever possible.

I hope your girlfriend plays Ultimate. I now have a connection to UNI Ultimate and expect there to be a women's team before you are done with school.