Friday, July 27, 2007

UNI Ultimate, Codename: LEGUME

I've delayed committing these ideas down on paper for two days now, so I feel like I should before I forget them. Most of these came from a think tank session between myself, "Driven" Nelson, Ying, and Dunlay, so any commentary is welcome. I have yet to bounce any of these off of Terp or Cartier, or the team for that matter, but I don't really feel like many of the players at UNI are as into Ultimate as I am, so I don't think they'll have many qualms.

First of all, UNIPUC needs jerseys. Badly. We're currently sporting some sort of pseudo-attitude tee as our jersey of choice, that needs to be replaced. I'm fairly certain Patagonia would most likely be who I'd be looking to for jerseys, everything that I've seen I've liked, and the other companies I haven't been too sure about. I'm unsure of when exactly to buy the jerseys, I want the players that wear them to be loyal to the team and not the iffy people that come once every two weeks or so. I was setting a tentative date as a month after Grinnell or so, that way I'll be able to see who's willing to at least give up time for a tournament and any of the people that don't like the atmosphere can peel off.

Anyway, the jerseys. I think we finally agreed upon most likely a blood red color (I'm sure a lot of teams use it, but it's so cool!) and a metallic gold, or if that's not a suitable choice for a color, probably the next blue up from Carolina Blue. I was aiming for an aquamarine or maybe even a turquoise blue/green, but getting that metallic gold would definitely be my first choice. (These all being jersey base colors). You just don't see something like that ever, but I suppose that could be due to the fact that it's not possible to make. Writing on the respective colors would be gold for red, red for gold, etc. For blue either black or white? We were unsure about that. Definitely not orange though, that was a resounding no. Complimentary colors are apparently a no go with blue/orange.

Looking at the jersey options from the Patagonia website I think I'd be leaning towards Marina blue/black print and then Chili red if there's the chance of having gold print, otherwise crimson/black. Naturally this all depends on what the team thinks, but those two colors both match what I had in mind.

Now the big problem, insignia. After a mid-this-post outing to Cafe Milo / the Boheme, Ying and I tried to brainstorm some ideas on what to do about it. We narrowed it down to a good six, although our last two are a little iffy.
1. (Inside joke) One of the dragons from Bubble Bobble - his head open (a la gameplay) while creating a few bubbles, the number would be inside the largest one.
2. Panther version I: A stern looking panther, complete with cane, monocle and top hat, looking disapprovingly upon the rest of the ultimate masses.
3. A Tony the Tiger / Captain America panther (Thumbs up, soldier!).
4. An envelope asking "Sectionals...?" with a large red DENIED stamped over it
5. (Stretching for ideas here): Bagheera from the Jungle Book
6. Pink Panther!
I feel like we'll probably go with 2 or 3, but man would 1 or 4 be amazing. If only.

There's probably also the slight chance that we have some artistic geniuses on our team that could pull out a spiffy looking symbol like ISUC's, but that would be a very slight chance. Mike Lun, where are you in our great hour of need?!

2 comments:

Java Bean said...

Hum, it's always nice to see my name mentioned in someone's blog. It makes me feel slightly special-er for a few moments.

So let me know what you want to do next. I should probably come up with better drafts/drawings of those designs, then you'd have something to show your team. You also have to show me Bubble Bobble. Although since I am online for once, I guess I could just look for myself...

ellsworthless said...

A new name is what you need. Keep UNIPUC as the official club name, then run with a new name competitively at tournaments. A new isignia should come after the new name.

Your team needs a new persona. Flip the program upside down, teach intensity, recruit more, and foster team pride.