Monday, July 23, 2007

Naturally I was referring to Ultimate

I should probably develop some sort of formula for tournament recaps or some such thing, but I've always been a writer that uses as little preparation as possible. I never cared much for those new-fangled outlines and I don't never plan on changing for nobody, nohow.

Way, way back in the beginning of the summer I was invited to the Summer Solstice down in Tulsa by PaB, the Des Moines League team that plays in every way, shape and form, as you'd expect a "Des Moines League Team" to play. Accompanying me were my faithful chums, Torin, Greg, J-Mis and fellow UNIer, Kyle "Driven" Nelson. Although at the time we didn't know the magnitude of PaB's decision, we would only be playing with roughly four actual PaB players. The rest of the roster was being filled by Ames ToP (us) and some guys from a place called Rolla. Oh how I wish I would've known about that ahead of time. Admittedly one of the guys, with a decidedly feminine name for some reason, was an amazing defender/puller, but the rest...eh, not so much. They definitely filled the roster though.

This tournament, like many to follow, had a multiple motifs that I will soon elaborate upon. The first and most satisfying: the sheer and utter domination of Greg Shirbroun over any and all comers. Now having grown up watching Greg improve I've known about his handling for quite a while, but since his year at Luther his skills have improved dramatically. As a cutter I felt completely comfortable making almost any cut I wanted, knowing that somehow, some way, Greg would get the disc to me. His throwing was completely unparalleled in that entire tournament. We gladly rode upon his back as far as he could take us (something that I'm quickly getting used to).

Playing with J-Mis was excellent. I like his style of play a lot, that being small advances up the field, dump/swings, all that jazz. In my opinion he's one of the harder people I know to guard; something that he's unfortunately taken advantage of many a time in opposing matches. It takes a bit as a cutter to get used to his somewhat lack of Shirbroun-esque deep throws, although he's trying to work on that, and I do think they've gotten better. I felt like he could've played better this tournament, he had a few unforced TO's and the like, but overall what I saw I liked.

Driven played solidly throughout the tournament, his chilliness needs a bit of work, but all around it's going to be nice to have him at UNI, his experience from ToP will play a big factor in him stepping up over the school year.

Unfortunately, ever since his injury near Frostbite(?) Torin has been playing less than sub-par these days I'd say. His throws have advanced quite well from my time playing with him over last summer, but it seems he's lost something in exchange. I really felt this in both Iowa Games and Freedom Fest especially, but all I remember Torin doing is either not cutting / waiting in the stack or sitting in the shade tent resting. Maybe it's unfair that I'm comparing him to Greg, myself, and Dunlay, but it just feels like Torin's abilities as a cutter, deep, and defender have all stagnated. This is probably much more harsh than I mean it to be, but I was hoping for a lot for this summer with Torin, but I guess that injury just took too much out of him.

As for myself, I felt like in Solstice I really came into my own in regards to being a cutter. I recall back in the winter when Ben Lyons said to me, "It's a shame you're a handler over at UNI, you're a great first cutter." In the winter I was unsure what the hell he meant, but after Solstice I wholeheartedly agree with him. A lot of the tournament I was the first cut that started the offensive flow and many times the one that kept it going as well. My defense as well skyrocketed, although the one big problem I had that tournament was getting that extra inch for the layout D. As most of ISUC now knows, I didn't get a single layout D that tournament (although a problem I quickly rectified at Freedom Fest). I didn't do any handling that tournament, I felt very unsure of my throws when in a key handling position, but the throws that I had as continue were quite satisfactory.

Unfortunately despite all this lovely recap, the team itself didn't fare too well. We did end up getting 3rd in the loser's bracket I believe and our losses only totaled a combined 8 point difference margin. Depressing in a way, as having Dunlay would've most likely reversed our fortunes, but still, a satisfying perspective to have in regards to losses.

1 comment:

Warrior Princess said...

Just found your blog, Iain, and I apologize for misspelling your name in mine. I'd agree with your assessment of Torin: not up to expectations. As to J Mis, I disagree that he is one of the more difficult people to guard. If I had your speed, I'd LOVE guarding him. I've spent at least the last 2 years with him telling him to go deep on me- if he always comes back to the disc (which he does), you don't have to follow him everywhere he goes. He does have that Sheldahl-esque ability to break a mark efficiently despite his size. He did play well at Freedom Fest, and I enjoyed playing with him; personality-wise, I love playing with him- he just doesn't get rattled, and that's a lot to say for someone that touches the disc so often. Hopefully you don't get too discouraged as a handler not cutter for UNI. I agree, you would be a dominate first cutter, but there is nothing so frustrating as a handler that can always get open, and a handler that COULD play other roles, but doesn't; one that wouldn't be unwilling to fight a poach witha deep cut. By the way, you can join my Greg Shirbroun Fan Club, if you want. Good luck with the modeling. :)